theme container image

Free Shipping On Orders Over $50+

Can Dogs Have Sea Moss? Benefits vs Risks for Your Pets

Sea moss, also called Irish moss or Chondrus Crispus, is proven to have numerous health and wellness benefits for humans. People claim its incredible effects on conditions as varied as skin problems, guts disorders, diabetes, weight loss, or even cancer. 

But what about animals? Can dogs have sea moss? Is Irish moss safe for our canine pets? Aren't there any poisonous compounds? And most importantly, does sea moss have any actual benefits for dogs? Let's find out!

Can Dogs Eat Sea Moss? Is it Safe?

Unfortunately, there’s very little to no research available on the effects of sea moss on dogs. But it’s widely agreed that dogs can safely eat seaweeds. All seaweed strains that are edible for humans are known to be non-toxic for dogs. There are even dog treats and food supplements made with seaweeds and algae like kelp or nori.

Like any edible seaweed then, sea moss is considered safe for dogs. In fact, it’s even a very healthy nutritional supplement for your pets. But remember that your dog is a carnivorous animal and needs appropriate food. Only use sea moss as a supplement, not as a substitute!

Also, be aware that you should not give too much sea moss to your dog. While sea moss can greatly benefit its health, too much of it could be dangerous!

How much sea moss should you give your dog?

As said above, we're lacking a lot of research on the benefits of sea moss for dogs and animals in general. So, there are no specific recommendations as to how much sea moss is safe to give a dog.

For humans, the standard dose is between one and four tablespoons of per day, but that would obviously be too much for dogs.

Of course, you must take your dog’s breed and size into account. A 150-pound male Anatolian Shepherd can safely eat more sea moss than a 1-pound female Chihuahua. Most vets agree that one to two tablespoons per week is a safe amount for a medium-sized dog. 

Do not feed your dog with sea moss every day unless you’re told to do so by your vet (in case of a diagnosed iodine deficiency for example). Use it as an occasional supplement and preferably in rotation with other seaweeds like Kelp or Nori.

Can Irish moss be toxic or poisonous for dogs?

No. Sea moss isn’t toxic nor poisonous for dogs if given in reasonable quantity. But like for humans, eating too much sea moss can cause iodine poisoning. Sea moss is one of the natural edible ingredients that contain the most iodine.

Iodine is a mineral that helps regulate thyroid function and is essential to living healthily. Your dog needs iodine, and most commercial dog foods actually contain iodine supplements. 

However, too much iodine is poisonous for dogs, just as it is for humans. It can cause anorexia, vomiting, and even coma and death in the most extreme cases. Before adding sea moss to your dog’s diet, ask for your vet’s advice and make sure you do not exceed the maximum dose per kg BW recommended.

What dogs can’t have sea moss?

While sea moss is generally safe for your pets, some dogs should not take it. 

  • Dogs that are taking anti-coagulant drugs
  • Female dogs that are pregnant or nursing

If your dog is under any medication, ask for your vet’s advice before giving it sea moss. Like any food supplement, sea moss is potent and may interact with medications.

What are the benefits of sea moss for dogs?

While it’s relatively new to most Americans, these exceptional algae that grow on the Atlantic coasts have been used in traditional Irish and British medicines for centuries. 

Sea moss has more or less the same health benefits for dogs as it has for people. It’s packed with healthy nutrients, vitamins, minerals, dietary fibers, calcium, and much more.

Veterinarians generally prescribe sea moss for dogs to:

  • Improve hair and nail quality
  • Boost your dog’s immunity and energy
  • Support older dogs’ kidneys and bladder functions
  • Treat canine anemia
  • Regulate a dog’s digestive system
  • Help dogs with respiratory conditions and allergies
  • Others

How to give sea moss to your dog? 

We strongly recommend you buy organic wildcrafted sea moss for your dogs. Irish moss is a natural product that must be sourced from the ocean. Following its success, unscrupulous industrials are now farming pool-grown sea moss. The nutrients found in pool-grown sea moss are not the same as the ones in wildcrafted sea moss. The benefits for your dogs won’t be the same either.

There are several ways to give sea moss to your dog, depending on what it needs it for.

Sea moss as a dog food supplement 

The most common way to give sea moss to a dog is to incorporate it into its food. Because dogs' digestive system is made to function with raw ingredients instead of cooked or transformed ones, always prefer pure dried raw sea moss.

Raw wildcrafted gold sea moss

Organics Nature's Dried Sea Moss is suitable for dogs!

Your dog may not like the taste of sea moss and refuse to eat it. Most dog owners grind or smash the dried sea moss into a powder and simply add it to the dog's food. If you're used to home-cooking your dog's treats, adding sea moss powder to its favorite recipe works great too!

Sea moss capsules are also a good solution for dogs, although you'd probably need to figure out the dosage first as most capsules are made for humans. 

Sea moss as a skin product for dogs

Sea moss can also be applied externally on dogs’ skin and hair. It helps soothe skin irritation and conditions like eczema or skin allergies. It’s also anti-inflammatory and balances the oil production and may also help with dogs that have a strong odor. Sea moss is also excellent for your dog’s hair!

To apply sea moss topically on your dog’s skin and hair, prefer using pure organic sea moss gel.

 

Sea Moss for Dogs & Pets: FAQ

Can sea moss be bad for dogs?

As said above, sea moss is generally considered safe for dogs if taken in reasonable quantities. The main risks of giving your dog sea moss are iodine poisoning or interaction with other medications.

Other possible side effects of sea moss for dogs can include in rare cases: 

  • Intestinal blockages. Pure raw sea moss turns into a gel when mixed with water. If your dog ingests too much of it, it may cause an intestinal obstruction. That’s why you should use sea moss powder instead of pure sea moss.
  • Diarrhea and vomiting. We have seen rare cases of dogs that did not digest sea moss properly, causing diarrhea and vomiting. Immediately stop supplementing your dog with sea moss and see your vet if the symptoms do not stop within 24 hours.

What about bladderwrack for dogs?

Bladderwrack and sea moss are often used together. Like Irish moss, bladderwrack is a seaweed that’s very rich in vitamins and minerals.

Bladderwrack is mostly considered safe for dogs and can be a great healthy addition to your dog’s diet.

Can cats have sea moss?

Cats can have sea moss too and most experts agree that sea moss is safe for cats. Like for dogs, only give sea moss as an occasional supplement. While sea moss can be highly beneficial for your cat's health, too much sea moss could be poisonous. 

Have you used sea moss for your pets? Share your experiences with us below!

Leave a comment